One of my priorities for this year (let's not call them "resolutions") is to write more, and to that end I'm resurrecting this blog. The focus will still be fairly in line with the title (I hope), but if all goes well there will be a lot more content.
I shut down this blog two? years ago, during a rough time: I was injured, I was over-subscribed, and I had a hard time imagining a path to improving my situation. Repeatedly, I suffered false-starts and setbacks: finding consistency for a month or two only to be laid low by a back pain flare; trying to return to the ice and discovering I just did not have the logistical fortitude to make it happen with my stress level. I could honestly imagine myself sliding into a useless and painful middle age before my time, even after a 30+lb weight loss -- excuse the pun -- lifted the weight a bit. Fortunately, quite a bit has changed in the last handful of months. The two biggest factors have been training at Catalyst Athletics, and moving.
Before you (or I!) get too excited about "training" I should make it clear: I am certainly on the "paying the bills" side of the house rather than the "Olympic weightlifters with competitive potential" side. I will hopefully have more to say soon about being a more-money-than-brains fitness client in a serious athletic environment. Still, being trained by, and around, real strength athletes has made a huge difference to my practice. I've gotten stronger and more confident more quickly, and with less pain, than ever before.
Moving is the other major factor. For over two years, I was like a business traveler with an extremely limited itinerary, living out of an overnight bag 30 miles from home several nights per week. While it was my choice and my reasons were worth it, it was a stressful and uncomfortable way to live. I rarely slept well or enough, I had little opportunity to prepare my own food, and in general I was stretched thin enough that the social engagements I did manage to make were often embarrassing due to my over-tired, cracked-out demeanor and conversation. Since moving in mid-November, all this has changed: in my new home I go to bed when I'm tired, wake up without an alarm, and my big, beautiful new kitchen is stocked to feed myself as I see fit. To say nothing about the company! Having lived both ways, I can't stress enough how huge of an impact this has had.
So here we are today, at the start of a shiny new blog much like the old blog, with shiny new activities to record and shiny new rants to be ranted. Stick around, won't you?
No comments:
Post a Comment