Friday, May 24, 2013

Another surprising new max

This blog has been quite of late partly because I've started an informal workout log elsewhere. I need to start collating some of my larger thoughts and putting them here.

Last week was back squat max testing at the end of a challenging back squat cycle. About a month ago I had what felt like it was going to be a really good back squat session: I felt nice and loose and warm, nothing hurt, the warm up weights felt as light as a feather...and then on some fairly low weight, maybe 65kg, I pulled something in my left inner thigh. Then on the following session of that week, my right leg got in on the action and I managed to ping both the inner thigh and kind of the mid-quad area *getting up from foam rolling*. I was so, so frustrated.

I saw Dr. Fran about it (and still have faint bruises), then for two weeks we took it kind of easy. On the first return to squatting "for real" after that, 80kg felt impossibly hard. I had also lost a fair amount of weight during this cycle, and I was concerned that the relative inactivity combined with the weight loss had taken a toll on my max ability.

I shouldn't have worried. In the end, I managed 95kg on my actual max test day. Not only a 4kg PR, but also significantly over body weight for the first time. I did punk out on an offer to try 97kg, but I couldn't even be sad about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment