Thursday, May 2, 2013

Working on the clean & jerk anxiety

It seems that Wednesday is Clean & Jerk day for now. Originally I was doing power cleans and power jerks, now they are (kind of) proper cleans and split jerks. So that's fun.

This week I got up to the highest weight yet, 48kg. It felt light -- for several of the 48kg reps I really muscle-cleaned and push-pressed with a slight split because of my brain problems -- but I was somehow pretty stressed out about it. As my stress level went up, getting under the bar was somehow terrifying (not that it is my core competency in the clean at this point, anyway), leading me to just pull the bar all the way up to rack without any downward movement on my part.

I really don't understand the fear. The consequences are pretty low at this weight range, since I can (obviously) muscle clean it and am probably fairly close to being able to strict press it as well  (I would guess I strict press somewhere in the 43-45kg range). While I have landed on my ass during a lift once, the barbell and I parted ways safely on the way down. Likewise I have hit myself in the chin with jerks and push-presses, but no harm done. My shoulders and arms no longer hurt with the explosive movement, so that isn't holding me back. Occasionally a front squat will hurt across the low back, but it's not so unpleasant that I can't manage it, even at a higher weight.

One of my goals for myself is to power clean at the "novice" level on the exrx.net chart, which is about 53kg at my weight. At the rate things are going I will probably be in a lower bracket by the time I convince myself to manage the weight, though.

I think one solution to this would just be to get more repetitions, and that is part of the goal in taking the class (although the class has been suspended for a couple of weekends because of gym events), but I probably really do need to just do the needful and buy a bar and some bumpers for home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment