Thursday, April 25, 2013

Occasionally every body part rebels.

This has been a hard week for me, physically, and for no good reason.

On Monday, I pulled something in my left adductor area during a light warm-up squat (55kg). I had felt super loose, warm, and flexible...and then *boom*. I was not too pleased, and the day ended up in light doubles rather than heavy triples.

Wednesday I returned to the gym, where first my right hamstring expressed some skepticism about me changing my shoes. Since most of what I do in the gym isn't terribly posterior-chain biased, I wasn't too concerned.

But then I managed to do the same thing to my right quad GETTING UP OFF THE FLOOR AFTER FOAM ROLLING. I hope the capital letters do a good job of expressing my disgust. Of all the activities I would expect to be safe from random muscular mutiny, foam rolling and, y'know, standing up are pretty high on the list. That quad got a little intensive softball therapy and eventually the work out continued, power cleans + jerks at 40kg.

AND THEN, on a particularly sloppy jerk, my right adductor area decided to get in on the fun. The next rep after that one was pretty timid, but fortunately subsequent reps were not sloppy in the exact same shape and I was able to make it to the end of the workout without further mishap.

On the upside, no upper-body pain or irritation in the jerks at all, or at any point after them on into today. Since I was in arm/shoulder pain pretty much 24/7 a month or so ago, this is a huge win. Hopefully I can get the coordination down well enough to go a bit heavier soon, since 40kg doesn't feel like much, especially in the clean.

I'm also hoping that various life processes, plus lots of foam rolling and stretching, will make tomorrow a little less ridiculous. So we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment