Right now I do conditioning at the end of two of my sessions per week, Monday and Friday. The routine has become that Monday is a more traditional gym-based -- dare I say CrossFit-inspired -- circuit of some sort and Friday is usually sprinting or agility drills outdoors. Wednesday is my "easy" day where the conditioning is replaced by some sort of back exercise and ab work.
I am so not a fan of conditioning. I actively enjoy sprinting in a hockey game where I'm chasing down an opponent or a lose puck...just randomly running in some sort of formation? Not so much. And the gym-based version has the additional problem that it often includes activities, like wall ball or ball slams, that obviously have no point. We are very fortunate as a society that we get to do pointless activities to make ourselves tired, for sure. Still, in the moment while doing them this is not a great realization to have.
Today in particular, I ran sprint intervals of varying length. Running sprints has 2 major problems: running sucks, and I suck at running. Running is an unpleasant activity, first of all. I know there are people who enjoy it, I do not understand how their brains work. And I suck at running: I'm not able to run hard enough to get to the full extent of my work capacity the way I can on skates. So the element of feeling refreshed after going all-out just isn't there.
Obviously I'm going to keep doing the conditioning; it is my goal to still be a functional human being 40 or 50 years from now. It sure would be nice if I could skate intervals instead, though!
No comments:
Post a Comment