I'm interested in trying the Olympic lifting class at the gym, which no longer takes new people unless they've had a session or two of one-on-one training in the progressions for the lifts. So Friday my trainer took me through most of the progressions for the snatch, first with a PVC pipe and then with a 10kg bar. We continued Monday, ultimately moving on to snatches from the floor with 15kg.
The snatch feels so much more natural than the power cleans ever have. Even at the super-low weight -- I have an issue with "not feeling" movements when the weight is low -- and ridiculous slow-motion coordination in most reps, it just makes sense to me. I can more easily feel when I'm too far forward, or not aggressive enough (what I call "fake" reps), or whatever else. The receiving position is also comfortable, particularly after the overhead squat breakthrough, which seems to have carried over to the lighter weights. Getting to full extension -- actually knowing if I did or not in the first place -- is always a weakness for me, but so far I'm a lot better at knowing it with the snatch than I have been with power cleans. It's pretty amazing. I also intuitively understand (although certainly don't do right) where the parts need to go in the second pull...whereas with hang cleans or high block cleans I stand there perplexed for a significant fraction of a minute before I can figure out how to move.
So, woo! I have a lot to learn and a lot to practice, but I'm so glad it's starting out so much less painfully.
No comments:
Post a Comment