After not being able to do overhead motions for 3 weeks, I assumed overhead squat max day would fall by the wayside. Not so, yesterday was an impromptu max test.
My previous max was 45kg, and I honestly wasn't totally sure I could do that reliably, partly because of the lack of push-press practice in the meantime. I've also picked up a bad habit somehow of lowering the bar too far back on the right side, so after 38kg or so I'm afraid I'm going to end up dropping it down my back (possibly with bonus arm-wrenching) if I lower it back to my shoulders. So my max testing ends up being a session of light power cleans for my trainer as well (which I always feel bad about).
Anyway, we proceeded, and the new max -- which is also a new push-press max -- is 48kg! I tried for 49kg, but didn't quite connect the leg drive on the push press and it was literally the second to last minute of my hour session so there was no chance of retrying. I have no doubt that I can do it, though, and probably 50kg as well.
The real breakthrough of this session was that somewhere in there, possibly my second attempt at 46kg (after dropping it on the way up from the squat the first time), I just suddenly figured out the balance point overhead. After that, everything was much easier than the light weights had been. I'm not sure if it's another example of my needing a fair amount of weight to really figure things out, or if it's just a matter of having enough repetitions in a row, but I'll take it.
No comments:
Post a Comment