Yesterday I drove up to Petaluma to see a weightlifting competition. My weightlifting class was canceled because of the large Catalyst contingent at the meet; instead I spent the time cleaning my kitchen sink and stove top (ah, adulthood). That's exercise, right?
The drive up was really beautiful; it was a full-on sunny California day and I love driving up to the north bay when I get the opportunity. I think this is the first time I've crossed at San Rafael instead of the Golden Gate Bridge, and I loved the view of the bay below. The drive back home was quite pretty, too, but much more angsty as I realized that depending on the extremely inaccurate Google traffic estimates was going to cost me my hockey game.
The meet was really neat to watch. There was a contingent of masters' aged beginners who were so great to see (my people!). One guy and two ladies were respectively the first in their sessions with much lower weights than the younger lifters, and I have to give them huge props for getting out there and kicking ass. The ladies also did the split snatch, which was neat to see.
I have an online acquaintance who is similar to me in strength but who has been lifting for over a years; she also competed and did well.
My trainer won her weight class but didn't look entirely satisfied with her performance. I can understand that: you're competing against yourself first of all. I thought she did great, and it was cool seeing her feedback to Greg after her attempts (I couldn't hear them from my seat, but I could see familiar gestures). I got to see several of her teammates as well, including the always super-nice Chyna Cho and super-heavyweight superstar Tamara Solari. Tamara was just amazing -- 120kg clean and jerk! She was also the only national-level super on the women's side, so all of her attempts followed herself. I can't imagine lifting that kind of weight and then having to get up and do it again ASAP...of course Greg did some weight-requesting manipulation to give her a bit more time. Her teammates and Aimee also did a great job of getting the crowd behind her, which was awesome.
My class is canceled again next week thanks to an advanced-level seminar. I really should get around to ordering a ladies' bar and some bumpers. I am itching to do some snatch balances.
No comments:
Post a Comment