The weightlifting class Saturday was fun and surprisingly hard for the low weights I used. There were three guys there, one was on his own agenda and the other two were roughly following the posted workout; they were both roughly at my level and I would guess similar to me in age.
The workout as written on the board was:
Segment pull + pull 3 x (1+1)
3-position snatches 5 x 3 (up from the floor)
Front squats at 75%, 3 x 5
What I actually ended up doing:
Segment pull + pull 3 x (1+1) @ 20kg (Coach Steve explained this as more of a warm up)
3-position snatches 8 x 3 (down from the hang) also @ 20kg
Snatch balances 4 x 3 at 20, 25, 30kg
Front squats: totally screwed up the math switching to pound plates and generally got confused and flustered - 5 each at 83lb, 103lb, 113lb (66%)
Even though 20kg is not much of anything -- it really did not feel harder than the bare bar -- I was occasionally light-headed in the 3-position snatches and really did need my rest after each set of 3. I think my breathing pattern was partly to blame. It was occasionally nerve-wracking to have Steve watching me, which is something I need to get used to. I'm so comfortable with my usual trainer now that it hadn't occurred to me it would be different with a different watcher.
I like snatch balances a lot and think long term they will help me with my "sneaky feet" (i.e. not landing on my heels). I know I was sandbagging it with the weight, but it's only the second time I've done them and I wasn't totally sure I wouldn't do something derpy.
When it came time to squat, the competitive team started to arrive for their training session and we were asked to move off the platforms onto the gym floor. No problem, except that meant moving to the other style of squat stands, which I am exceedingly awkward and dangerous moving around, and the non-metric weights. So that kind of threw me off track.
No comments:
Post a Comment